Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Loose Ends (Mary O’Reilly Paranormal Mystery #1)Loose Ends by Terri Reid
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Paranormal, Mystery
Content: Clean



Dying is what changed Mary O’Reilly’s life.

Loose Ends is a light mystery read. I thought it was both charming and humorous. Mary O'Reilly was a Chicago police officer who was shot in the line of duty. She died but was resuscitated. Since that day she has been able to see the ghosts of people who have not crossed over. She decides to quit the police force and opens up a paranormal detective agency after moving to a small town.

For the most part I liked this. I would give it 4 stars for the charm and humor, and the characters. I really enjoyed her banter with the two other business owners that befriend her. I liked the potential love interest and the way they met. I also really liked that there wasn't just one mystery introduced in this book, but three. One of which I'm going to guess will not be as easily solved as the other two were in this book. It will probably span at least a couple of books before it's resolved.

The things that I found to be shortcomings in this book, and what kept me from giving it 4 stars were first, the main mystery. It was pretty obvious who did it and I was hoping it would end up being a red herring, but at one point in the middle of the book the author for some reason decides to just let us in on it completely. If I hadn't found the rest of the book so likable I would not have been able to overlook this as easily. The second thing that sort of bothered me was that Mary did a couple of things that I thought a former cop wouldn't have done.

I will continue reading this series because I liked it despite those issues. It's a self published series so I wasn't expecting perfection, and the books are short; this one was only around a 6 hour read. Sometimes that's what I need, a quick, light read that doesn't take itself too seriously and this fit the bill.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment