Saturday, March 3, 2018

BiomeBiome by Ryan Galloway

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre:  Sci-fi, Dystopia
Content: Clean

 
Inside the gleaming domes of Mars Colony One, seventeen-year-old Lizzy Engram and her fellow cadets work to make the Red Planet habitable.

And every Sunday night, the doctors erase their memories.

Week by week the procedure is carried out. Until one morning, Lizzy wakes with all of the missing memories inside her head. And not just her own, but the memories of every cadet on the planet--


The whole time I was reading Biome I thought it was a stand-alone, that is until I got to the giant cliff-hanger of an ending. That probably explains why I didn't see the ending coming. For the most part I enjoyed this, although there were times the main character came across a bit slow to me. There were times she was confused by what another character was saying to her, but I didn't think what he was saying was confusing at all. There were also times when I didn't like her all that much, but I have to say that I was impressed that the author actually wrote a teenage character that eventually sees her own faults and is able to humble herself enough to apologize for her shortcomings and make changes to herself.

I think the biggest flaw in the book is the fact that the main character is able to evade capture so easily when there are cameras almost everywhere. It never really felt like she was in too much danger. There was also some teen romance drama that became mildly annoying, although I liked that this book didn't get too deep into the romance. The best part about the book was probably the ending, although I really would have loved if this had been a stand-alone. Because of that ending, there is no way I will be able to pass up the next book. I really need to know what happens next. In a way this reminded me slightly of The 100. If you enjoy sci-fi dystopian novels give it a try.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment