Friday, April 9, 2021

Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega #6) by Patricia Briggs

54325980. sy475 

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language, mostly off page sex, past abuse and rape is mentioned.

 

In the wilds of the Northern California mountains, all the inhabitants of a small town have gone missing. It's as if the people picked up and left everything they owned behind. Fearing something supernatural might be going on, the FBI taps a source they've consulted in the past: the werewolves Charles Cornick and Anna Latham. But Charles and Anna soon find a deserted town is the least of the mysteries they face.

Death sings in the forest, and when it calls, Charles and Anna must answer. Something has awakened in the heart of the California mountains, something old and dangerous — and it has met werewolves before.

 

It's always a treat to get to read a Patricia Briggs book. I look forward to reading about either Mercy or Anna every year. In my opinion this is the best book I've read in this series so far. There were questions answered about Leah that I've had for a long time, and I feel like I finally understand her and her behavior, even if I don't agree with some of it. I'm glad for the different perspective on Leah now, and also Bran. Every time I think I know that guy I find out something new! He's such a layered character. especially for one we get such limited page time with. I would have loved to have gotten a little bit more at the end. I'm pretty sure I know what happened, but I wanted to read about it.

I loved the music stuff that was included in this book. The Mongolian band the Hu that was mentioned in the beginning is one of my husband's favorites, and I had to show him that part. It put a huge smile on my face when Charles starting playing one of their songs. I especially loved the part with Charles and Anna playing music together and how it showcased how happy and content they are with each other and their devotion to each other, which is evident throughout the whole series. This quote pretty much sums it up:

“With Anna he had no shield—Charles belonged to Anna with all his complicated soul and uncomplicated heart.”

Music played a big part in the plot overall and I loved how the book showed different aspects of music and the power it has over our moods and the mind, from the romantic, to the creepy, to the battle anthems. The whole part about the missing people from the camp and the singer in the woods was really creepy, and I loved how the tension got amped up after a certain thing happens to Anna. The whole cave scene had me on the edge of my seat, and also cringing at times! I was also not expecting the Lovecraftian influence. I did find it easy to figure out who a certain person was, although not everything about who this person was, and I liked that there was still a surprise there.

The end with Samuel was an unexpected surprise, but I was really sad for him that he had to do what he did. I'm sure this stuff with Samuel will probably play a bigger part in future books, but I kind of would like another spin off series about Samuel now! Also, I can't wait to read the next book to find out more about Sherwood Post and who he is and what he remembers. I have to admit that I was frustrated to have to wait for that information!

On a side note- The Roanoke Colony that disappeared and is referred to at one point in the book was not located in Virginia as the book states. It was located in North Carolina. Roanoke Virginia is a completely different place. This is a common mistake that people make. I made the same mistake myself until my daughter moved to Roanoke Virginia and I found out differently.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment