Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Broken Blade (Fallen Blade #1) by Kelly McCullough

12240523 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong language, A scene of torture, A pretty nondescript sex scene.

 

Once a fabled Blade of Namara, Aral Kingslayer fought for justice and his goddess alongside his familiar, a living shadow called Triss. Now with their goddess murdered and her temple destroyed, they are among the last of their kind. Surviving on the fringes of society, Aral becomes a drunken, broken, and wanted man, working whatever shadowy deal comes his way. Until a mysterious woman hires him to deliver a secret message-one that can either redeem him or doom him.

 

This book has been sitting on my Kindle for quite a while now and I finally decided to give it a try. I was intrigued by the assassin plot and the living shadow companion Overall this book delivered what I was hoping for. It's a pretty standard fantasy, but it had some elements that felt urban fantasy. I like the main character a lot and I liked the plot. 

There ends up being a romance between Aral and another character that I thought was a little bland. While I liked the love interest as a character, I would have preferred more chemistry between the two of them, and a slower build up of the romance over more than one book, but I don't think the author really wanted to focus too much on that aspect of the story anyway.

There are six books in this series and I'm planning on continuing.  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment