Friday, June 11, 2021

Warrior's Ransom (The First Argentines #2) by Jeff Wheeler

 55082258. sy475  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult, Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean


After a pilgrimage to the East Kingdoms seeking a blessing from the Fountain, source of the land’s magic, Sir Ransom Barton returns home in search of two dreams: Claire de Murrow, the heiress he loves, and a patron for his warrior skills. Unexpectedly, Ransom finds himself in the favor of Devon, the notorious Elder King. Brought into the ruler’s mesnie and given two wards of his own, Ransom is devoted to his privileged new position. He’s also privy to the running of the realm and to all its courtly intrigues—notably, the machinations of the king’s three remaining sons, all engaged in a manipulative battle to become heir to the throne.

As Ransom is thrust into the middle of poisonous family conspiracies and betrayals, allegiances are shattered, and Ransom fears he may end up serving his worst enemy—or worse, face exile for demonstrating loyalty.

Drawing on his developing powers, Ransom takes up arms against the dark forces coming in a war that will test the limits of his courage and determine the fate of the dangerous and fractious Argentine dynasty.

 

After reading the first book in this series, and finding it a little lackluster, I wasn't sure how I was going to like this one. Fortunately I enjoyed this book a lot! I was really happy that it didn't parallel the Kingfountain series too much, the way I thought the first book did. There are definitely the same themes of honor, truth, and loyalty that are included in all of Jeff Wheeler's books, but I appreciate those themes. 

I especially like that the protagonists in Wheeler's books struggle with their decisions to do the right thing, but eventually do, despite the personal cost. I also really like how layered the other characters are as well. This book, just like Wheeler's others, shows us how people aren't just black and white, but many shades of gray. The king in this book did some despicable things, but also some things that made me want to like him at times too. The things that were done by certain characters in this book were truly tragic, and it was mainly because of pride. It's sad when people can't get out of their own way before their actions cause tragedy.

I also want to say that I really appreciate that this book, and all of Jeff Wheeler's books can be read and enjoyed by any age. There are not a lot of books series like that any more. This book left me wanting to read the next book right away, but it hasn't been published yet. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to reading the next two books later this year!

Thanks to NetGalley and 47North for providing me with an ARC of this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment