Monday, February 28, 2022

February 2022 Book Club: Cartwright's Cavaliers (The Revelations Cycle #1) by Mark Wandrey

 33538984. sy475  

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Sci-fi, Military Space Opera
Content: Strong language, Sex that is not described in much detail


Heir to one of the leading “Four Horsemen” mercenary companies, Jim Cartwright is having a bad year. Having failed his high school VOWS tests, he's just learned his mother bankrupted the family company before disappearing, robbing him of his Cavalier birthright.

But the Horsemen of eras past were smart—they left a legacy of equipment Jim can use to complete the next contract and resurrect the company. It’s up to Jim to find the people he needs to operate the machinery of war, train them, and lead them to victory. If he’s good enough, the company can still be salvaged.

But then again, he’s never been good enough.

 

This was a fun space opera. I really liked the mechs and the battles with them. The beginning pulled me in right away, and I enjoyed getting to know Jim and sympathized with him. I liked that he was not the typical male protagonist that is usually found in militaristic space operas.

Parts of this had me laughing out loud, particularly the part when Jim jumps onto the tank and everything that ensues. There were also times I wanted to slap him for making really stupid decisions, like exploring the cave instead of waiting where he was, and not realizing he had a radio in the emergency pack. I will say that the romance was a little unbelievable. It seemed like every fat boys dream come true, but it was nice that someone could see him for who he was and not what he looked like.

I really wanted to know more after the epilogue but was disappointed to find out that this is a companion series written by multiple authors, and there is no direct sequel. I doubt I would have stayed with the series through all the books anyway (there are 12), but I could have read one or two more. Since it's a companion series by different authors, I've decided to stop here.My husband however, has decided to keep reading, so I'll get the spoilers from him.




No comments:

Post a Comment