Monday, November 21, 2022

Secret History (Mistborn, #3.5) by Brandon Sanderson

 28698036. sx318 

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong Language

Mistborn: Secret History is a companion story to the original Mistborn trilogy. As such, it contains HUGE SPOILERS for the books Mistborn (The Final Empire), The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages. It also contains very minor spoilers for the book The Bands of Mourning. Mistborn: Secret History builds upon the characterization, events, and worldbuilding of the original trilogy. Reading it without that background will be a confusing process at best. In short, this isn’t the place to start your journey into Mistborn. (Though if you have read the trilogy—but it has been a while—you should be just fine, so long as you remember the characters and the general plot of the books.) Saying anything more here risks revealing too much. Even knowledge of this story’s existence is, in a way, a spoiler. There’s always another secret.  

 

I've had Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection sitting on my shelf for a while now. I've slowly been reading the stories in it that relate to the books I've read. I finally got around to reading this one because I wanted to read it before I read The Lost Metal. I tend to enjoy Sanderson's shorter works the most. The Emperor's Soul and Snapshot are two favorites, with The Emperor's Soul being my all time favorite thing Sanderson has ever written. This one, however, was an exception. There are some interesting revelations, but at the same time this story went on for too long. That sounds weird when I'm talking about a novella, but there were parts that rambled on too much and dragged. Those parts could have been shortened and the story would have been fine. This is the same thing I thought about the original Mistborn trilogy, which I still very much enjoyed. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the pulling of certain strings by the character in this book. It almost feels like it took something away from the original story, instead of adding to it, because none of them were able to do these things themselves. Having said all this, I still love Sanderson's books. I've enjoyed reading all of them, and I'm looking forward to reading more about the Cosmere. 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment