Tuesday, October 1, 2024

September 2024 Reading Wrap-Up

In September I finished up two books that I had started at the end of August, read eleven complete books, and started three that I haven't finished yet. There was one book I had planned to read that I didn't get to, and that was A Ruse of Shadows (Lady Sherlock #8) by Sherry Thomas. I'll be adding it to my reading list for October.

 

Below are the two books I started at the end of August and finished up in September.

 

The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #2) by Carolyn Miller

3 of 5 stars

Review to come.



 

Court of Assassins (The Ranger Archives #1) by Philip C. Quaintrell

4 of 5 stars 

I've been buddy reading The Echoes Saga series on Goodreads and after finishing the first three books of the series and that story arch, we decided to take a break from it and read this prequel trilogy about the character Asher. The first book was really good and I'm looking forward to reading the second book this month.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 

 

Below are the books I got completely read in September. Some of them I read specifically for the monthly reading challenge, which was standalones.

 

The Dark Before Dawn by Jaima Fixsen

3 of 5 stars

I read this for the monthly challenge. I liked this author's Fairchild series but this one just didn't work all that well for me. It wasn't bad but it was a bit different than I was expecting. I wasn't crazy about the love interest and the whole disguise thing seemed a little far-fetched. It also seems like a first book in a series, but there have not been any other books written. This resulted in the ending feeling rather unsatisfactory to me.



 

Phoenix (Vlad Taltos #5) by Steven Brust

3.5 of 5 stars

This was mostly a good read. It's one of the best books in the series even though the relationship issues are a bit of a drag. I enjoy the humorous bits the most in this series and it's hard to feel light and humorous with the relationship problems. That being said, this is the first book in the series where the author seems to start to dig deeper into who Vlad is (I'm reading them in chronological order, not in publication order) and he really starts to reevaluate some things. The book felt more complex because of it and that almost made up for the parts I thought were a drag.



 

The Big Four (Hercule Poirot #5) by Agatha Christie

2.5 of 5 stars

Review to come.



 

Christmas by the Bay (Blue Heron Cottages #7) by Kay Correll

3.5 of 5 stars



 

War of the Twins (Dragonlance Legends #2) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

3.5 of 5 stars

This was a reread. I read this years ago and gave it 4 stars. Now I think it's more of a 3.5. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book in the trilogy. Also, Tasslehoff is still the best character in all of these books.

 

 

  

Tell Me Lies by J.P. Pomare

3 of 5 stars

I read this book for the mystery book club, but it also fit in with the monthly book challenge.



 

To Catch a Husband by Sophia Holloway

3.5 of 5 stars

This was another book I chose to read for the monthly reading challenge and it's the first book I've read by this author and I almost gave it 4 stars, but took a half star away because the main character does some incredibly irritating things at one point. Overall, I love this author's writing style, even though it took getting used to at first. I'm looking forward to reading all of her books.



 

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1) by Arkady Martine

3 of 5 stars

Review to come.



 

Omega Rising (Omega Force #1) by Joshua Dalzelle

3 of 5 stars

My husband picked this book to read on our road trip in hopes that it would be a series we could listen to together. He really likes this series, but I was on the fence after listening to this first book. I liked it but didn't love it, but I decided to listen to at least another one to give it more of a chance.

 

 

 

Celia by Sophia Holloway

5 of 5 stars

This was another book I read for the monthly book challenge.

Review to come.

 

 

 

Soldiers of Fortune (Omega Force #2) by Joshua Dalzelle

3 of 5 stars

I stuck with this series for two books because I really wanted to love it. I liked some things about it. The characters were likable and it was entertaining, but there was just something missing for me, so I think I'm probably done with it.  

 

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 




Below are the books I started in September but am still reading.

Blood and Coin (The Ranger Archives #2) by Philip C. Quaintrell



 

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer

Reading for the monthly reading challenge



 

Explorer (Foreigner #6) by C.J. Cherryh


 

 

 

 

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment