Thursday, April 5, 2018

Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)Grey Sister by Mark  Lawrence

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong Language, Brutal Killings


Behind its walls, the Convent of Sweet Mercy has trained young girls to hone their skills for centuries. In Mystic Class, Novice Nona Grey has begun to learn the secrets of the universe. But so often even the deepest truths just make our choices harder. Before she leaves the convent, Nona must choose which order to dedicate herself to—and whether her path will lead to a life of prayer and service or one of the blade and the fist.

All that stands between her and these choices are the pride of a thwarted assassin, the designs of a would-be empress wielding the Inquisition like a knife, and the vengeance of the empire's richest lord.


Nona Grey is back in this follow up to Red Sister and I loved her yet again in this book. I thought Red Sister was a very enjoyable read, but Grey Sister is even better. Several years have passed between the two stories and Nona is now 16 and must soon decide whether she will become a red sister or a grey sister. Certain plots come to fruition here and others are thwarted, and I must say that I did not see some of that coming. I also need to add that Sister Kettle and the Abbess are both awesome! They both really shone in this book along with Nona, and Zole had a significant role to play here as well. I ended up loving her too. Regol is also back in this, if rather sparingly. I love his character and I really would like more page time for him. And then there is Darla. I really grew to love her as well. The characters are what really make me love this series.

A good portion of this book takes place outside the convent walls and it was a nice change of pace. I am curious about how the problem of the world dying will be solved. Even though we have explanations of how the moon could be turned and all that, by the end of this book there is still nothing really done about it. It seems like a lot will have to happen in the last book, but I think this author will pull it off. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for giving me a copy of this book for review.




No comments:

Post a Comment