Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopia


 
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.



I really liked Not a Drop to Drink. I thought it was different and in a couple of ways that surprised me. The main character is tough because she has to be. She just does what has to be done. I liked that a certain someone got their due and she wasn't afraid to do it. That scene was one of the best in the whole book. There are no foolish lapses of judgment on her part which was refreshing in a YA novel. I enjoyed seeing her grow as a person throughout the book. I liked seeing some of the paranoia that her mother instilled in her abate somewhat. She was a smart, and in the end, caring person. There is one heart wrenching thing that happens near the end of this book that I was just not prepared for. I kept wondering why the author would do such a thing, and in such a horrible way. I will say that it is not the predictable way most YA novels go. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a sequel to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment