Thursday, September 13, 2018

Stars UnchartedStars Uncharted by S.K. Dunstall

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Space Opera
Content: Strong Language



Three people who are not who they claim to be:

Nika Rik Terri, body modder extraordinaire, has devoted her life to redesigning people's bodies right down to the molecular level. Give her a living body and a genemod machine, and she will turn out a work of art.

Josune Arriola is crew on the famous explorer ship the Hassim, whose memory banks contain records of unexplored worlds worth a fortune. But Josune and the rest of the crew are united in their single-minded pursuit of the most famous lost planet of all.

Hammond Roystan, the captain of the rival explorer ship, The Road, has many secrets. Some believe one of them is the key to finding the lost world.

They're in a race to find the lost world...and stay alive long enough to claim the biggest prize in the galaxy.



I had previously tried to read Linesmen by S.K Dunstall and while I liked it ok, it wasn't exciting enough for me. After reading the description of this book I decided to give S.K. Dunstall another chance, and I'm glad I did. This book kept me company into the wee hours of the night when I was sick with a cold and couldn't sleep. I found it very easy to read and I liked the characters a lot. The body modding was interesting. Think cosmetic surgery taken to the extreme. It's an art here. You can go into a machine and come out looking like a completely different person. I thought Nika was very indicative of what a cosmetic surgeon is probably like; always looking at people and thinking up ways to make them look different and 'better'. It's not really a good way to look at people, but it fit really well with the story.

Josune and Roystan were very likable and I liked the slight romance that was there. It was never too pronounced and was a nice touch to the story without becoming the focus. The mystery surrounding Roystan kept me reading and I feel like I should have figured it out sooner than I did.

The negatives for me were that I found it hard to believe most everyone couldn't figure out who Nika was, and also who Josune is later on in the story, but other than that I really have no complaints about the book. It was a nice, fun, stand-alone read that had just enough action for me and focused on the characters a lot, which I liked. The authors are planning to write a second book set in this world and I am planning on reading it.

Thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for providing me with an ARC of this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment