Monday, September 2, 2019

Hangman's Pond (The Brackenford Cycle #2)Hangman's Pond by Nick Moseley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Content: Strong Language (the British variety)



“Typical Monday,” Trev Irwin thought. “I spilled my breakfast, my car wouldn’t start, and someone’s trying to kill me...”

I liked this book so much more than the first book in the series. There are all kinds of urban fantasy elements here from witches to vampires to Druids, and the action is almost nonstop without being too much. I especially enjoyed the author's take on vampires. Old lady vampires are awesome!

"Nobody’s going to believe that the two of us needed to defend ourselves against a pensioner."  😂

Trev is continuously having to get himself out of predicaments and it's always fun to see how he will do that. It seems everyone wants him dead, but some of his predicaments are his own fault. He sometimes just recklessly does things without thinking them through.

"You may direct your whining at yourself if you wish, but not at me."

I thought the villains were great. There are mad scientists and weird zombie-type people. When the mask came off one of them it reminded me of this scene from the 1979 movie The Black Hole, when this thing's face mask came off.

description

It was terrifying to me as a kid.

The combination of wit and slightly terrifying adventure make this series great fun. Add interesting creatures and elements like the Greenweave, and the pond witch into the mix, and I'm hooked. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I love a book that makes me laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment