Friday, August 30, 2019

July/August 2019 Book Club: We Are Legion

We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1)We Are Legion by Dennis E. Taylor

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Sci-fi, Space Opera
Content: Strong Language



Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets.


3.5 stars.

This was good fun! Our book club read this for July and August and I thought it was very entertaining. There was a lot of humor involved that included multiple copies of Bob. Some of those Bobs had personalities based on characters from pop culture. There was the 'Homer Simpson' Bob, the 'Commander Riker' Bob, the 'Garfield' Bob etc. For me this was the best part of the book. The worst part of the book was trying to keep all of the Bobs straight.

I thought this was a unique idea for a story. There was a lot of geeky nostalgia sprinkled throughout. It reminded me slightly of the way Ready Player One was full of 80s stuff, only it wasn't over done here.

This is a trilogy and while I was entertained by this book, I'm not sure I really want to read all three of them. I guess time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment