Thursday, October 17, 2019

Grindhelm's Key (The Brackenford Cycle #4)Grindhelm's Key by Nick Moseley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language (the British variety)



It’s the New Year and the whole world seems to have taken a resolution to make Trev Irwin’s life a misery. He’s trying to hold down two jobs, one of which involves dealing with dangerous, immoral and evil creatures of darkness. And if working in the property business wasn’t bad enough, he’s also got vampires, werewolves and angry elementals to deal with in his other job helping out the Custodians, the United Kingdom’s supernatural police force.

Turning up to work tired, battered and bruised isn’t conducive to good performance, and Trev is on his final warning at SmoothMove estate agents. He’s been given a short time in which to convince the management he’s worth keeping on, and he can’t afford any distractions or slip-ups. Such as his ex-girlfriend Sarah calling him out of the blue to tell him that she’s being held hostage and needs his help, or a psychotic zombie with a soul-sucking lantern ambushing him in an alley.


This ended up being one of my favorite books in the series so far. I was pleased at some of the revelations. In particular regarding Sarah. And that we got more info on Nona. Everyone was present for this book. I didn't realize how much I had missed Grandad and Agatha in the previous book, and even the real estate office. Yeah...I have no idea why I missed that part, but anyway, Trev finally makes a decision about joining the Custodians, who by the way, I always want to call the Guardians for some reason. I think it may be because custodians make me think of janitors.

Not only are Trev's allies, ex girlfriend, and coworkers all in this book, but there is also Ezekiel Barker, who is fast becoming a favorite character of mine. I loved every chapter he was in. I hope he continues to pop up in future books.

There was some really cool inter-dimensional (I guess that's the right way to say it?) travel in this book, and I'm really interested in finding out more about that stuff. But the real treat in this book was Jack. He was a creepy good character, and not someone I would ever want to meet. I also may be looking at those Jack-0-Lanterns on my front porch a little differently this Halloween.

 I'm not sure when the next book will be published, but I'm looking forward to reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment