Thursday, October 17, 2019

Spectre's Rest (The Brackenford Cycle #3)Spectre's Rest by Nick Moseley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language (the British variety)



It’s been a stressful few months for Trev Irwin, number one estate agent in the town of Brackenford. Trev’s hoping for a quiet return to selling third-rate houses to first-time buyers. No such luck.
 

The Custodians, the clandestine supernatural police force of the United Kingdom, have been trying to recruit Trev into their ranks for some time. He’s reluctant, not least because he knows that there’s a mysterious traitor in the organisation who’s been trying to get him killed. But when a high-profile fugitive is captured and offers to trade some information for a lenient sentence, it looks as if there might be a chance for Trev to unmask the traitor and protect himself. All he has to do is go to the Custodians’ prison, Spectre’s Rest, and interview the prisoner.
 

It seems like a simple enough task. However Spectre’s Rest has its own secrets. Secrets that stretch back through the prison’s dark and violent past. Secrets that can no longer remain hidden.
 

Secrets that might mean the death of everyone inside the prison’s walls…  

I enjoyed reading this book, not quite as much as the previous one though. I think the negatives for me were that the fight scenes were a little too drawn out for me, and I found it hard to believe that people who deal with supernatural beings would have had such a hard time believing Trev when he told them he saw some of the weird things he was seeing. But those are small things and they didn't overshadow the things I liked.

The positives were that the setting was really creepy. How could an old, practically abandoned mental hospital not be? And like the previous books, this one made me laugh quite a bit. I also liked the role Oscar played in the book, but that ending! It almost broke my heart.

I do have just one question though. Do all British people eat pizza with a fork?

No comments:

Post a Comment