Monday, June 8, 2020

Myths and Mortals (Numina #2)Myths and Mortals by Charlie N. Holmberg

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: New Adult, Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: A pretty horrendous murder


Sandis has escaped Kazen’s grasp, but she finds herself unmoored, reeling from her thief friend Rone’s betrayal.

Kazen has been hurt but not stopped, and he’ll do anything to summon the monster that could lay waste to the entire world. Sandis knows she must be the one to stop him, but with her own trusted numen now bound to another, and finding herself with no one she can trust, she is in desperate need of allies. Rone seems determined to help her, but Sandis has no intention of letting him get close to her again. What she doesn’t know is how much Rone gave up to protect her. Or how much more he is willing to give up to keep her safe.

As chaos mounts, Sandis must determine whom to trust. After all, the lines between enemy and ally have never been less clear…and corruption lurks in the most unlikely of places. 




I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first book in this trilogy. After a while, Sandis began to annoy me. Honestly there was too much angst thrown in and it got annoying. I wanted the characters to move forward way before they did. I understood why sandis felt the way she did toward Rone, but it could have been resolved sooner.

I thought the parts where Sandis was conflicted about who she was, and the way wanted so badly to feel wanted and loved, were compelling and heartbreaking. That was probably the best part about the story. I also found her difficulty giving up the life as a slave, due to her past connection with Irath and how much she missed that, to be interesting but frustrating at the same time.

Just like the last book, the characters did some things that I thought were stupid, but I enjoyed this enough to give it 3 stars anyway. There is only one book left, and this book ended with something disastrous happening, but I'm not feeling compelled to read on at this time. I don't like when this happens. I want to feel the itch to keep reading. I want to be bursting with anticipation for the next book, especially when there is only one book left to go. So I'm rather frustrated with my lack of motivation to keep reading to get to the end of this trilogy. I'm not crossing it off my to-read list yet, but I will be reading other things until I either feel the urge to read it, or decide I just don't care enough to continue.



No comments:

Post a Comment