Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)Age of Empyre by Michael J. Sullivan

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong language


A door opens. An army of dragons advance. And the fate of the living rests with the dead.

After obtaining the secret to creating dragons, the leader of the Fhrey has turned the tide of war once more—but gaining the advantage has come at a terrible price. While Imaly plots to overthrow the fane for transgressions against his people, a mystic and a keeper are the only hope for the Rhunes. Time is short, and the future of both races hangs in the balance. In this exciting conclusion to the Legends of the First Empire series, the Great War finally comes to a climactic end, and with it dawns a new era in the Age of Empyre.




"All too often, that which we are most certain of is that which we are most wrong about; and that which we are wrong about can change everything."

This series has been a roller coaster of emotions for me. I'm sad that it's over, but also glad to have completed it. I will say that I feel like this series started out really strong, with the first two books being my favorites, but gradually got weaker as it went on. This was probably my least favorite book in the series, but I'm still giving it 3.5 stars.

While I liked this, I felt like it dragged a bit at times, and the part in the underworld went on too long. It got a little dark and depressing for me, but maybe that was just my mood. Also, for some reason I didn't feel the same connection to the characters that I felt in the previous books, although I still loved them.

On the positive side though, I loved that we got to visit some characters who had died in previous books in the underworld and the closure that brought to their story lines. I loved that we got to see themes of love and forgiveness in this book. I loved the growth of these characters throughout the series. And I especially loved the unlikely heroes.

I knew going in that this wasn't going to be one of those happily ever after kind of series, and indeed the ending was bitter-sweet, but at the same time it was just right. Brin, as usual was amazing, and the way her story ended up was pretty perfect. I've wondered throughout the series what happens to the Book of Brin, and now I know. Overall I liked the way things ended for all the characters, with only one minor unfulfilled wish on my part.
 
I enjoyed this series, especially the characters. They left a positive mark on me, and I smile when I think of them.

"I had always worshiped heroes in stories. I had no idea I was surrounded by them."





No comments:

Post a Comment