Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Archangel (Spectre War, #2) by Margaret Fortune

 33832222. sy475  

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Space Opera
Content: Strong Language

 

As a soldier of the Celestial Expanse, Guardian First Class Michael Sorenson knows better than anyone that when the Spectres invade, there are only two options. Run or die. However, his defensive war takes on a whole new spin when he’s recruited into Division 7, a Research & Development facility with the ultimate mission: to create a large-scale weapon that can kill Spectres en masse.

Here Michael joins a team of military elite who have the daring—and dangerous—task of taking new weapons prototypes out into the field for testing on enemy troops. Yet the closer they come to developing a working WMD, the more it becomes clear: There’s a saboteur in R&D.

With all signs pointing to a massive Spectre attack brewing on the horizon, the creation of a new weapons system yields an opportunity to end the threat once and for all. As the days count down toward its launch, Michael must hunt down the saboteur...before the saboteur hunts down him.

 

After reading Nova, the first book in this series, I was under the impression that more years would go by between books, so I thought the characters would be older. I was wrong. The main character is around 18 here. I was a bit disappointed in that even though it makes more sense for the series if the characters stay YA age. Michael was the love interest in the first book and I really wanted to see how he would handle what had happened in that book, and how that would mold him into the person he would later become. Unfortunately I didn't care for the way his character lingered on it and even put blame in places he shouldn't have. I did like other aspects of the book though. The fight to defeat the Spectres continues. And although this type of enemy is nothing new in sci-fi or space opera, the Spectre are still an interesting concept to me.

Overall I liked this enough to give it 3 stars and I'm mildly interested in reading more if more books are published.




No comments:

Post a Comment