Friday, March 26, 2021

Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan

 40017611. sy475 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Psychological Thriller
Content: Strong language; A couple of teen girls are kidnapped, beaten and raped repeatedly, but nothing is described.

 

Margot Lewis is the agony aunt for The Cambridge Examiner. Her advice column, Dear Amy, gets all kinds of letters - but none like the one she's just received:

Dear Amy,
I don't know where I am. I've been kidnapped and am being held prisoner by a strange man. I'm afraid he'll kill me.
Please help me soon,
Bethan Avery


Bethan Avery has been missing for years. This is surely some cruel hoax. But, as more letters arrive, they contain information that was never made public. How is this happening? Answering this question will cost Margot everything ...

  

I finally found another psychological thriller that I really liked. For some reason I've have a hard time with these of late. They seem to be full of such unlikable characters, but with this one I was able to actually like the main character Margot. 

In the beginning I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to read something that was rather dark, and I was afraid there would be descriptive scenes of what was happening to the kidnapped girl. I stuck with it and it ended up not being too dark, and thankfully those parts were not described. 

Like all psychological thrillers, there's a big twist and I did guess what it was, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of this book. I thought the details of why and how things happened the way they did helped to make the story feel more plausible.

I liked this enough that I'll probably look up other books by this author to try.




No comments:

Post a Comment