Saturday, January 22, 2022

Fate's Ransom (The First Argentines #4) by Jeff Wheeler

57481189. sy475 

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult, Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean

 

Ransom Barton has served three Argentine kings. The new successor to the throne is the ruthless Jon-Landon, a fallible strategist when it comes to war. After losing against the Occitanian armies, the king forces Ransom to bear the blame and removes him from the council. But Jon-Landon isn’t yet through with humbling the honorable knight of Ceredigion.

When a retaliatory battle succeeds, Jon-Landon invites Ransom back into his circle. Though Ransom’s Fountain magic is made stronger by his fealty, he’s once again forced to make a terrible choice. And this time, Ransom’s wife, Claire, and their sons could pay the price for Ransom’s loyalty.

But as tensions between Ceredigion and Occitania reignite and alliances at court begin to crumble, a desperate Jon-Landon discovers his only ally is the knight he betrayed. With the future of Kingfountain hanging in the balance, Ransom agrees to help. And as secret enemies reveal their endgame, Ransom knows that he may have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the survival of the Argentine dynasty.

 

I was hoping this last book in the series would be an improvement over book three, but unfortunately, I didn't care for it. I liked this one the least out of the four books in this series, and it was mainly due to the way things end up for Ransom. That's all I'm going to say about the plot, because I don't want to spoil anything. 

Sometimes I like Jeff Wheeler's story-telling a lot. At those times I can feel the struggles his characters are going through, as they try to make the right decisions, and deal with heartbreak and disappointments in their lives. Other times his protagonists come off as a little too perfect. I liked Ransom a lot as a character, but I feel like he was just a little too perfect at times, and that made him seem not as realistic. As for Claire, after reading book three, I was hoping that I would like her character again. She got on my nerves so badly in the last book, which is a shame, because she was a character that felt more real to me. Thankfully, she was back to being the Claire I knew and enjoyed reading about in books one and two, but her role was rather small here. 

Overall, I don't like this series as much as Kingfountain. It's one of those take or leave it ones for me. I've also reached a point in my reading of fantasy that I'm very tired of the "fated to happen" trope.




No comments:

Post a Comment