Friday, January 21, 2022

The Fortuna Coin by Karen Ann Hopkins

 58846981. sy475 

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Women's Fiction, Psychological Thriller, Romance
Content: Strong language, Brief descriptions of sexual encounters, Several forms of domestic abuse (written as mildly as possible, for the most part)

 

Wendy Catalano, a newly remarried mother of four, finds herself, her husband and her children, murder victims of her ex-husband. A family heirloom takes her back in time to the beginning of her relationship with her eventual killer where she’s given the magical opportunity to change the future and stop her family's tragic ending. But she isn't aware that she's reliving a tortured life. With only glimpses of the future, Wendy struggles to survive present day, unaware that a bloody and unforgiving destiny awaits her.

The Fortuna Coin is a haunting psychological thriller about second chances…but will the truth really set Wendy free?

 

It's a rare occasion when I read a book all in one sitting, mainly because there aren't very many that I absolutely can't put down, but that's what happened when I cracked open this book, or more accurately, turned on my Kindle last night. This book was impossible to put down. I just had to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen next and I ended up reading until past 3 am.

I've read several books by this author and I've enjoyed all of them. This book was very different from her others, and although I could tell it would be just from the description, I was completely taken by surprise, because it was still not at all like I expected it would be. 

There is the question that people get asked a lot about their lives, or choices they've made, "Would you do it all over again?" In this book, with the help of a mysterious coin that's been passed down in her family, Wendy gets the chance to go back and change things in her life. If you read the above description, then you know she is murdered by her abusive ex-husband. The answer a lot of people seem to give to the question of whether they would do it all again when they've been in an abusive relationship, is yes, because they wouldn't have their children. 

Except for small flashes of memory, Wendy doesn't remember how her life went before, when she is suddenly sent back to the past, and she doesn't understand what is going on. She also meets two men and is drawn to both of them in different ways. She just keeps getting a nagging feeling that something isn't playing out the way it's supposed to, until she visits a psychic for advice.

I don't want to spoil how everything happens, but Wendy has a chance to never experience the abuse, but also never know her children. This is a tough decision, and this book had me feeling so many emotions. It was heartbreaking at times, and at times it was hard to read because of certain things that were happening. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I can say that it's the best book I've read in a while. Certain parts might not have been easy to read, and could be triggering to some people, but I think it illustrated the effects of abuse on a person really well. Especially the more subtle forms of abuse and control that leave a person second guessing themselves. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment