Tuesday, March 7, 2023

The Sisters of Sea View (On Devonshire Shores, #1) by Julie Klassen

 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Romance, Clean Romance, Historical Romance
Content: Clean

 

When their father's death leaves them impoverished, Sarah Summers convinces her sisters to open their seaside home to guests to provide for their ailing mother. Emily and Georgiana agree, but Viola, who wears a veil to cover a scar, detests the idea.

Determined to stay together, the sisters begin the new venture. Instead of the elderly invalids they expect, however, they find themselves hosting eligible gentlemen. Sarah is torn between a growing attraction to a mysterious Scottish widower and duty to her family. Meanwhile, the new situation exposes Viola's scars--both the visible and those hidden deep within--and her cloistered heart will never be the same.
 

 

I loved this book! Most of Julie Klassen's  books are standalones, but I thoroughly enjoyed her Tales from Ivy Hill series, so I was excited to start another series by her. I liked the episodic nature of this book, where it jumped from one character point of view to another. We get the perspective of each sister, and I loved each of their personalities. The guests that stayed at the guesthouse where all interesting as well, and I liked getting to know each of them. 

This book focused on the romance for one sister more then the others, and I enjoyed reading how it developed. I'm assuming each book in the series will be like this. I'm really eager to find out what happens with the other sisters, and who they end up with. 

This reminded me a little of Sanditon, with the guesthouse and the beach, and the guests coming and going. I thought the bathing machines were interesting, and what a double standard for the ladies and men on the beach! Although I'm not really surprised for the time period.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment