Monday, June 12, 2023

Witch King by Martha Wells

 Witch King by Martha Wells 

 

My rating: No rating at this time

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content:

 

After being murdered, his consciousness dormant and unaware of the passing of time while confined in an elaborate water trap, Kai wakes to find a lesser mage attempting to harness Kai’s magic to his own advantage. That was never going to go well.

But why was Kai imprisoned in the first place? What has changed in the world since his assassination? And why does the Rising World Coalition appear to be growing in influence?

Kai will need to pull his allies close and draw on all his pain magic if he is to answer even the least of these questions.

He’s not going to like the answers.

 

I love the Murderbot books by this author, and I've read a couple of other fantasy books by her as well and enjoyed them, but unfortunately, I just didn't care for this one all that much.

In some ways this was quite different from what I usually read, but even so, I was initially drawn into this book right from the beginning. Unfortunately, after getting through a few chapters, I'm just not feeling it any more. I think Martha Wells can write spectacular beginnings, and this one was, but it just didn't keep me interested. I think part of the problem is that I felt like I was just dropped into the world and there wasn't enough explanation about what was going on. Also, the going back and forth between past and present wasn't really working for me either. The chapters in the present were more interesting to me than the ones in the past, at least in the beginning. I found it hard to switch gears and go to the past when I wanted more of what was happening in the present.

So, another one for the abandoned pile. Maybe I'll revisit it one day when I'm in the mood for something different.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with and ARC of this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment