Monday, August 21, 2023

The Setback (The Birch Creek Ranch #7) by B. E. Baker

 

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Romance, Clean Romance, Contemporary Fiction, Women's Fiction
Content: Clean

 

Amanda Brooks has made a new home for herself in Birch Creek, and she's finally learning to love the right way. But our past always catches up to us, and when her family surprises her with a visit, it slams into her plans like a bowling ball, knocking pins in every direction.

Donna Ellingson has a new job and a fresh resolve to embrace happiness with both hands. But every big change has its difficulties, and she’s not sure whether she made the right choice. It’s hard to move ahead when you keep looking back.

Helen Fisher has never deviated from her life plan. When things go wrong, she handles them, one way or another. When her family in Birch Creek needs a little of her attention, she resolves to deal with it quickly and get right back on track.

Can these three women navigate their respective setbacks and move forward with grace and hope? Or will these life changes alter their futures forever?

 

When I saw Helen was going to be a big part of this book, all I could think was, "Oh boy! How is Bridget going to make me like Helen?" Helen comes across as a snooty, cold person who throws money at everything to 'make it better'. She's so full of herself. I like the way Abby described her sister as lost. However, I knew that since Helen played a big part in this book, she would have growth and change. I had a hard time seeing how she would have enough growth and change for my liking, but I also knew that this author could pull it off, and for the most part, she did. It was a little hard to give Helen the amount of growth she needed because she enters the series at such a late stage, but it was adequate and with one more book to come, maybe we will see even more growth and change. I liked the way the romance played out for Helen in this book, and the guy she ends up with is just perfect for her.

I enjoyed the other parts of the book about Donna and Will, Amanda and Eddie, and Beth and Ethan. Amanda has finally grown and become what I knew she could be, and it was great seeing that. Some of those scenes with Amanda and Helen were priceless! They deserved to have to deal with each other. I was so happy for how things ended up for Donna, and the solution Beth came up with was one I had thought of and was happy to see in the book. I did think things may have been a bit too neatly tied up, but this is a feel good series and so I'm not surprised that it's ending with everyone feeling good and in a happy place. I liked the way things have ended up for everyone. I'm looking forward to reading the last book and finding out more about the other Amanda's (Amanda Saddler) time away, and how that plays into her future.

If you enjoyed Virgin River, Cedar Cove, Sweet Magnolias, or Heartland, than you might like this series. I happened to like this series better than all those.

Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment