Tuesday, September 5, 2023

My Best Friend's Secret by Karen Clarke

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller
Content: Strong language

 

When Rose’s old friend Elise suddenly arrives on her doorstep having just escaped a controlling marriage, she offers her a place to stay. But Elise wants more than a safe refuge, she wants Rose to help her get her daughter back, so that she can truly start afresh with five-year-old Daisy safely in her arms. Every little girl needs her mother, after all. Ready to insert herself into Elise’s old home, Rose gets a job as a teacher, home-schooling Daisy. But when Rose is asked to take the little girl and bring her to Elise, she gets cold feet… Elise’s behaviour is becoming increasingly erratic, and Daisy’s father is far from the monster described… Will Rose take Daisy and return her to her mother, or is the real danger closer to home? Who should she trust?

 

This is the first book I've tried by this author and it won't be my last. One thing I really liked about this story is how likable the main character was. She was at turns foolish and smart, which I felt was a little inconsistent but possibly realistic. Sometimes we all do foolish things. What I really liked about her, is that she had a conscience, and genuinely loved the little girl, Daisy that she was in charge of. 

There was a lot of deception in this book and it took a while to unravel what was happening but I started to put the pieces together and figure everything out at around the 60 percent mark. Even though I figured it out, I still wasn't quite sure if I had gotten it right until I got close to the end. I was actually surprised at how accurate my guesses were. That didn't ruin the book for me though. I will say that I'm not sure I care how things ended up with Elise.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the pace and author's writing style, and it kept me reading until late at night.





No comments:

Post a Comment