Thursday, January 11, 2024

After She Wrote Him by Sulari Gentill

  

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Content: Strong language; Sex that is not described in detail

 

Originally titled Crossing the Lines

If you get lost in a book, be sure you can find your way back . . .

Madeleine d'Leon doesn't know where Edward came from. He is simply a character in her next book. But as she writes, he becomes all she can think about. His charm, his dark hair, his pen scratching out his latest literary novel . . .

Edward McGinnity can't get Madeleine out of his mind--softly smiling, infectiously enthusiastic, and perfectly damaged. She will be the ideal heroine for his next book.

But who is the author and who is the creation? And as the lines start to blur, who is affected when a killer finally takes flesh?

After She Wrote Him is a wildly inventive twist on the murder mystery that takes readers on a journey filled with passion, obsession, and the emptiness left behind when the real world starts to fall away.

 

I enjoyed reading this author's book The Woman in the Library, so I was excited to give this one a try. From the description it sounded pretty unique, and the first thing I thought when I finished it was that this book was wild! Apparently this is called metafiction, and it's the first book I've ever read like it. I thought going into it that it would alternate points of view in each chapter, and I would be trying to guess who was real and who wasn't until the end. What I wasn't expecting was the way the points of view flowed from one character to the other in the same paragraphs. It was interesting the way it was done. This was definitely a slow burn of a book, and it took me a little while to really get into it, but there was a point somewhere in the middle where I was glued to it. My one big complaint is that the ending was very unsatisfying. I enjoyed reading the author's comments on the book at the end, and how she got the idea to write it. Apparently she put a lot of herself into Madelyn, which I found interesting. Would I recommend this? Yes, even with the unsatisfying ending, I'm still glad I read it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment