Sunday, February 11, 2024

A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan #1) by J. D. Kirk

   

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller
Content: Strong language, Animal mutilation, Child kidnapping and murder

 

Was the biggest case of his career the worst mistake he ever made?

Ten years ago, DCI Jack Logan stopped the serial child-killer dubbed 'Mister Whisper,' earning himself a commendation, a drinking problem, and a broken marriage in the process.

Now, he spends his days working in Glasgow's Major Incident Team, and his nights reliving the horrors of what he saw.

And what he did.

When another child disappears a hundred miles north in the Highlands, Jack is sent to lead the investigation and bring the boy home.

But as similarities between the two cases grow, could it be that Jack caught the wrong man all those years ago?

And, if so, is the real Mister Whisper about to claim his fourth victim?

 

This is the first book I've read by this author and I ended up liking it quite a bit. It dealt with the disturbing subject matter of children being kidnapped and murdered by a serial killer, so at first I wasn't sure how easy it was going to be for me to read this, but overall the details were kept to a minimum. I found the mutilation of several cats to be rather more disturbing. 

The dark subject matter was lightened up a bit by the unexpected humor in the book. DCI Logan is an interesting character. Some have said his personality is off-putting, but I enjoyed reading about him. He's a man that carries around a lot of baggage but is still able to inject humor into things. I'm looking forward to reading more about him. 

In the end, the resolution to who the killer was and why caught me by surprise, and although I'm not sure how plausible I think some of it was, it made for good reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment