My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Category: Adult, Christian Fiction
Genre: Romance, Historical Romance
Content: Clean
With a promise to her youngest sister, Sarah
Summers declares that this year's Christmas at Sea View will exceed all
expectations. But the arrival of Callum Henshall--dashing Scottish
widower and returning guest--blows a flurry of doubts into her mind.
Sarah had discouraged his attentions before and is once again torn
between attraction and duty. Yet even while she's busy managing the
family's guest house, alluring thoughts of a second chance at love weave
their way into her practical heart.
Meanwhile,
seventeen-year-old Georgiana eagerly anticipates the exciting Christmas
of her dreams after last year's dull, disappointing holiday filled with
endless chores. She enjoys all the promised parties, music, and dancing,
but is taken by surprise when young love comes knocking. Does the
festive romance of a Sea View Christmas hold the key to a
happily-ever-after for both sisters?
Return to Sidmouth for this
highly anticipated holiday companion novella to the Summers sisters'
lives and loves on the charming Devonshire shore.
I was looking forward to reading this, knowing it was the last book in the series, and the one where Sarah's story is finally told. I really liked Sarah in the other books, even though I got a bit impatient with her. I also felt there was good chemistry between her and Callum in the first book in the series, and I wanted them to end up together. Initially I thought things would be less awkward between them when they met again, but unfortunately it felt like they were back at the beginning of their relationship.
Sarah frustrated me a lot more in this book than she did in the others. Her indecision and the fact that she seemed to think she was the only person that could be there for her mother and the inn, despite the fact that she has four sisters that live nearby and three brothers-in-law, not to mention multiple friends, resulted in me liking her less. I also felt less chemistry between Sarah and Callum this time around, which made the story fall a bit flat for me.
I enjoyed the Christmas setting but at times felt that it leaned too heavily into showing us the holiday traditions of that time period. I wanted more interpersonal interactions between the characters and it felt like the book dwelt on other things too much. There was too much telling at times and not enough showing, and there were what I viewed as missed opportunities for characters to talk and interact with each other in more meaningful ways. Especially Sarah and Callum. Sarah barely talked to Callum, and she was so unable to share her thoughts and feelings with him. It had me feeling like they were in for a difficult marital relationship.
I enjoyed the parts about Georgiana, which I didn't expect, and I was unexpectedly wishing more had been written about her and Colin. Unfortunately, this being the last book in the series means there will be no more written about them. Overall, I enjoyed this series but I didn't think this last book was quite on par with the others in the series, but I'm glad I read it and would read it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment