I read 7 novels in September, plus three more novellas or short stories from Tailored Realities by Brandon Sanderson, and I finished up the two books that I had started, but not finished in August.
The Spy Keeper of Marseille by Roseanna M. White
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult, Christian Fiction
Genre: Romance, Historical Romance, Historical Fiction
Content: Clean
See my review here.
A Bitter Cut (Lady Darby #14) by Anna Lee Huber
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Historical Mystery
Content: Clean
A good installment but not a favorite. I appreciate the way the author writes the pregnancy and motherhood aspects of their lives into the story.
Guilty Acts (Cass Leary #9) by Robin James
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Legal Thriller, Mystery, Suspense
Content: Strong Language, Fade to black sex
I liked this one a lot better than the previous book in the series.
Defending Elysium (Skyward # 0.5) by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Category: Adult, Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi, Space Opera
Content: Clean
Centuries before Spensa looked skyward from the planet Detritus—back on Old Earth before it was lost—Jason Write faced a crucial question: was humanity ready to join galactic society?
When faster-than-light communications were discovered by a small telephone company in 2071, alien species such as the Tenasi and Varvax overheard them and came to visit Earth. Because the Phone Company controls all communications with the aliens, their operatives like Jason operate above the law.
Now, on the space platform Evensong, one of the Phone Company’s scientists has gone missing before surfacing in a hospital with amnesia, and Jason is sent to investigate. Right as he arrives, the body of a murdered Varvax ambassador is discovered, sure to cause a galactic incident. Coln Abrams of the United Intelligence Bureau seizes the opportunity to investigate Jason as he deals with the crisis. This could be the UIB’s chance to discover the Phone Company’s secrets—how does FTL communication work, and what is Jason hiding?
This was one of the stories I read in Tailored Realities. Having not read Skyward yet, I have no way of knowing how well this fits into that world, but I thought this story was just ok.
Mitosis (Reckoners #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Category: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean
Steelheart may be dead, but Epics still plague Newcago and David and the Reckoners have vowed to fight back.
The second story I read this month from Tailored Realities. I thought this story was also just ok. Mitosis was ridiculously easy to defeat. I feel like anyone with a brain could have figured out how, so nothing special here.
Firstborn by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Category: Adult,
Genre: Sci-Fi
Content: Clean
Of the son of a High Duke of the interstellar Empire, much glory is expected. And expected. And still expected, despite endless proof that young Dennison Crestmar has no talent whatsoever for war. But the life Dennison is forced to live will have its surprising lessons to impart.
This was the third story I read in Tailored Realities. I liked this story a lot better than the other two. Out of all the stories in the book I think this is one of my favorites.
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi
Content: Strong Language, Assassinations
See my review here.
The Split by Sharon J. Bolton
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller
The remote Antarctic island of South Georgia is about to send off its last boat of the summer--which signifies safety to resident glaciologist Felicity Lloyd. She took a job on this isolated island to hide from him, but now that he's out of prison, having served a term for murder, she knows he won’t give up until he finds her.
A doctor digging into the background of Felicity and Freddie's relationship back in Cambridge learns that she has been on the edge for a long time. Heading to South Georgia to try to get to her first is the only way he can think of to help her.
I liked this but didn't love it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I read the description. I was thinking more of a cat and mouse thing in a remote area. And while it does sort of have that aspect to it, it's a very small part of the story, and ends up being something different. I enjoyed the other book I read by this author (Dead Woman Walking) more. I figured out pretty early on what was happening with the main character, and I think it should have been more obvious to the therapist.
The Secrets of Hartwood Hall by Katie Lumsden
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Gothic, Mystery, Suspense, Historical Mystery
Content: Off page sex, Domestic abuse is recalled by a couple of characters
I was looking forward to reading this, but it ended up not being as good as I had hoped. I liked the mystery aspect of the story but did not like the romance at all. It felt too modern for the story with the main female character making all the first moves, which were very forward and brazen for the time period. The ending left me feeling a little sad and unsatisfied, even though the main character is supposedly happy. My hardcover is going on the unhaul pile.
Brothers in Arms (Dragonlance: The Raistlin Chronicles #2) by Margaret Weis and Don Perrin
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Off page sex
I didn't like this as much as most of the other Dragonlance books I've read. It just didn't hold my interest the way the others did. Most of the characters from the other stories were missing, like Tas and Tanis. Plus Kitiara featured heavily in this one and I really dislike her, so I wasn't interested in reading her parts. I definitely think the first book in this duology about Raistlin is worth reading. It was a lot better than this one and things wrapped up really well at the end of it, so this book really didn't feel necessary.
The Bravest Hour (Verity Kent #9) by Anna Lee Huber
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Historical Mystery
Content: Off page sex, Mild torture and interrogation scenes, Mild cursing
This was a good wrap-up to the series. I feel like this series started out really good but I lost some interest in it with the last three books, simply because I didn't care for the plot with the phosphine gas and the IRA. I enjoyed the books that were set in England more. I think the author made a good choice to wrap things up at this point.
A Trade of Blood (Ana & Din Mysteries / Shadow of the Leviathan #3) by Robert Jackson Bennett
I'm almost finished with this one so I'm going to go ahead and give it a rating.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Review to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment