Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language, sex scene


Dead Heat was a more than ok edition to the Alpha & Omega series. I always enjoy visiting the world of Charles and Anna. I found this book hard to put down and stayed up way too late reading it.

In this book Charles gets a call from an old friend, Joseph Sani, whom he hasn't seen in years. Charles has been avoiding Joseph because it hurts too much to see his friend grow old, but Joseph talks him into coming to visit so he can meet Anna. Of course trouble greets them when they get there, this time of the Fae variety.

The strong points of the story were the friendship between Charles and Joseph, the backstory we get on Charles, the new characters that were introduced in the Sani family (I especially liked Joseph, his son Kage, and Chelsea. I would have liked to have spent more time with all three of them. I also liked Chelsea's son Max a lot too and would love to see them in future books), and Anna's Omega ability (I never get tired of that. It's one of the things I like best about this series). I also enjoyed the horses to an extent.

Initially I was going to give this straight up 4 stars, but after thinking about it there are a few reasons why I decided to only give it 3.5.

First, there is a whole lot of horse talk in this book. I've always been interested in and liked horses so I enjoyed it to a point, but there were a couple of times the horse stuff dragged the book down, and it felt like the book lost its focus at those times.

Second, I didn't think it made sense for Maggie to be so petty towards Anna. She loved her husband and Charles was way in the past. It was just unneeded drama.

Third, some explanation as to why the one Fae creature restored the other one's power and let him loose would have been helpful. We know the Fae are up to something, but there was no reason given at all for any of it and I can only speculate that we will find out more in future books.

As always I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, and on a different note, I liked that we finally got a cover with Charles in human form.

I received this book from the publisher through a Goodreads giveaway.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment