Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Noble ServantThe Noble Servant by Melanie Dickerson

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult, Christian
Genre: Fairy Tale, Historical Fiction
Content: Clean


She lost everything to an evil conspiracy . . . but that loss may just give her all she ever wanted.

First I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher Thomas Nelson for giving me a copy of this book.

The Noble Servant is the third book in the Medieval Fairy Tale series. I haven't read the first two yet, but this works fine as a stand-alone. The story begins with Lady Magdalen traveling to marry the Duke of Wolfberg in an arranged marriage. Magdalen had met the Duke once two years before and developed a bit of a crush on him, so she is happy about the arrangement, as she is penniless and wasn't expecting anyone to want to marry her without a dowry. However, things do not go as planned while on the way and Magdalen is forced to switch places with her maidservant who steals her identity. Little do they both know that more deception is afoot at the Duke's castle.

This is a retelling of The Goose Girl, a Fairy Tale I am not all that familiar with so I can't say how true to that story this is. I did enjoy reading when she was tending the geese and when she met Steffan who just happened to be tending the sheep. I thought it was a little ridiculous that they didn't just tell each other who they were, especially after a certain point. Of course just like most of these historical romances, there are some misunderstandings and characters who don't tell each other how they really feel because they think the other person doesn't feel the same way. It got a little old after a while, and while nothing new, it was a sweet romance and I still enjoyed the book

This is also Christian fiction and I knew that going into the book. I felt it got a bit heavy handed with the scripture quoting and praying. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind those things in general, but as I've said in other reviews, I usually just prefer them to be added to the story in a more subtle way. I think the thing about it that bothered me a bit was that the religious aspect of the book felt too modern and evangelical for the time period and medieval setting in the way it was presented. This kind of pulled me out of the story a couple of times.

I will probably read the other two books in this series as they are nice to read when I just want something light.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment