Thursday, October 25, 2018

October 2018 Book Club: Bones of the Dragon

Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #1)Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong Language



Skylan Ivorson is a sea-raider of the Vindras and eventually becomes the Chief of Chiefs of all Vindras clans, an honor he truly feels he deserves as one who has been blessed by Skoval, the god of war.

But sometimes a blessing is a curse in disguise.


DNF @50%

This was our book club book this month and I'm pretty disappointed in it. I really enjoyed The Dragonlance Chronicles and The Deathgate Cycle but unfortunately Weis and Hickman did not win me over with this one. The biggest problem I have with this book is that I hate just about every one of the characters, especially the main character, Skylan, which is sad because I really love the characters in their other book series.

Skylan is just dumb in my opinion. He's like the big dumb jock that has an inflated ego. And when it comes to women he thinks like a narcissistic sexual predator. For example, he wants this one woman in the book and refuses to see that she doesn't want him. He convinces himself that she really does want him even though she doesn't and has never given him reason to think that she does. This is the worst character they've written since Mina from the War of Souls. I hated that character so much I wanted her to die a horrible death and that's how I feel about Skylan. This is just one example of why I dislike him, but it was one reason too many. I've heard he improves greatly in the next book, but I just don't care.

I also really hated what was done with another character in the book that started out sympathetic because of her abusive situation, but then she ends up not being so sympathetic and it felt like the book was trying to justify Skylan's awful opinion of her and the way she looks. Also the hairy nipples...what did I just read??? Sorry but I don't even want to try to explain that. Needless to say I will not be continuing on with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment