Saturday, October 6, 2018

Murder on Millionaires' Row: A MysteryMurder on Millionaires' Row: A Mystery by Erin Lindsey

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Historical Mystery, Paranormal
Content: A small amount of strong language



Rose Gallagher might dream of bigger things, but she’s content enough with her life as a housemaid. After all, it’s not every girl from Five Points who gets to spend her days in a posh Fifth Avenue brownstone, even if only to sweep its floors. But all that changes on the day her boss, Mr. Thomas Wiltshire, disappears.

Having previously read Erin Lindsey's fantasy Bloodbound, I was curious to see what she would do with a mystery. It also intrigued me that this book included a paranormal element. The result was an engrossing start to a new series. Set in New York during the Gilded Age, Rose is a maid who longs for something more. She also has a huge crush on her employer Mr. Wiltshire, and when he goes missing she sets out to investigate his disappearance. The story includes several other interesting characters. Most noteworthy is Clara the cook, who harbors some secret skills and may have dreams of something more herself. I felt like the story moved a little slower than I would have liked, but I loved the plucky Rose, her employer Mr. Wiltshire, and the cook Clara.

Just as I hoped, the paranormal element was an interesting addition to the historical mystery. I thought it was incorporated into the story pretty well. At the end of the book we are left with a mystery to solve that relates to a ghost in this story. I'm expecting her to show up in at least one more book in the series, but I'm curious to see how other ghosts and possibly other types of creatures will play a role in future books.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with an ARC of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment