Sunday, March 17, 2019

A Curse So Dark and LonelyA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Fairy Tale
Content: Strong Language



Fall in love, break the curse. Break the curse, save the kingdom.

This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast and I'm pretty much always willing to read one of those, but I was a little apprehensive when I found out it had a modern day twist to it. I'm not usually too crazy about the modern day person being brought to an alternate medieval world type thing. It's been done to death, but this book ended up being really good.

I loved all the characters so much. I loved the feisty main character Harper, and it was refreshing to have a main character with a disability. Both Grey and Rhen are also great characters, especially Grey. I also loved that this book differentiated between love and lust. So many books seem to confuse the two. This story took its time with the love story. Nothing happens instantly, but there is a slow build up starting with attraction that I loved.

I also liked that the story wasn't predictable even though it was a retelling. Not everything falls neatly into place by the end and the ending left me with some questions. It's a good thing there will be a second book!


No comments:

Post a Comment