Saturday, May 11, 2019

Relic of Sorrows (Fallen Empire, #4)Relic of Sorrows by Lindsay Buroker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Space Opera
Content: Some sexual innuendoes 


 
Captain Alisa Marchenko finally has a lead on finding her daughter, but her passengers want her to take them on their quest instead. They have power she cannot fight, and she finds herself with no choice but to accept another detour.

But the ancient relic they seek has the ability to destroy worlds and is coveted by many. The path leading to it is riddled with competitors and littered with the dead, and even a cyborg and a Starseer may not be strong enough to fight the obstacles in the way.


The plot thickens in this fourth book in the series. There was tomb raiding in space, lots of action, progress with a relationship, and of course the wonderful banter between characters. I do think that the one thing that is lacking is a sense of urgency on Alisa's part to find her daughter. Sure, she is at the whim of Abelardus who refuses to help her until his quest is complete, but Alisa sits back and takes that way too easily. As a mother myself, I would be frantic with worry about my daughter, and the book just doesn't convey that at all about Alisa.

One of the best things about this book to me are that Beck and Leonidas are getting along. I hope to see a real camaraderie develop between them. The novella that follows this story helps to build on that. Then there is the step toward a romantic relationship between a couple of the characters. I like the way it is heading, but it looks like it will take a while to get there, for reasons I had already guessed, but will not divulge here.

Overall, another solid book, in a series that just keeps on entertaining. It's rip-roaring fun and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment