Wednesday, May 29, 2019

May 2019 Book Club: Good Omens

Good OmensGood Omens by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
                              Content: Strong Language
 
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .


This was our book club read for May and it was one of the rare times I listened to an audio book. Others in the book club said it was slow at times and hard to get into, but the audio I listened too was a dramatization and a lot of the tedious parts were cut out. I did find the dramatization hard to follow now and then without having a visual of what was happening, but for the most part it was fun to listen to.

One of the most fun things about reading this for book club was choosing refreshments to go with the theme of the book. We do this at every one of our book club meetings. Some books are harder to think of refreshments for than others. This one was a breeze! We had angel food cake, deviled eggs, devils food and angel food cupcakes, Nutter Butters, a witch's brew for drinks, and bangers and mash.

I thought this was a fun, quirky book, and the first thing I've ever read by Terry Pratchet. It left me interested in trying one of his other books. I had previously only read one book by Neil Gaiman and I liked it. I think these too authors make a good writing team and I would be interested in reading another collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment