Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Battle Ground (The Dresden Files #17) by Jim Butcher

 

Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17) 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong language

 

Harry has faced terrible odds before. He has a long history of fighting enemies above his weight class. The Red Court of vampires. The fallen angels of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. The Outsiders.

But this time it’s different. A being more powerful and dangerous on an order of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in a millennium is coming. And she’s bringing an army. The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way.

Harry’s mission is simple but impossible: Save the city by killing a Titan. And the attempt will change Harry’s life, Chicago, and the mortal world forever.

 

 

“The real battle for your own soul isn't about falling from a great height; it's about descending, or not, one choice at a time.” 

 

I'm not usually a fan of long drawn out battles in books, but I knew going into this one that it was what had to happen. This has been building up for a while and the big battle was finally here. I was expecting to have my heart broken, and it was, but not as badly as I thought it would be. That being said I am truly angry with the way one character went out. I mean really Mr. Butcher, why did you do this? But it's the mark of a good storyteller, when that storyteller can make you also laugh through the tough parts as well, and Jim Butcher is a master at that. I laughed and cried while reading this book. I was also elated every time one of my favorite characters showed up, and they pretty much all did make an appearance at some point.

The inclusion of the short story Christmas Day at the end of the book was nice. After everything that happened in the book, it helped to leave me with a warmer feeling. Now that this story arc has come to an end, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment