Saturday, June 11, 2022

May Reading Challenge

 https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/open-book-with-flower-on-grass-picture-id851771678?k=6&m=851771678&s=170667a&w=0&h=ixwQIp-uDbiozmGoJx6qOKGESBIXEci-MxoFHl5s0hI=

The reading challenge for May was titled May Flowers...

Read books with beautiful, appealing covers.

Ok, so I'm late posting about the May reading challenge, plus I forgot and posted two of the books as separate reviews already, but I read three of the four books I had picked out for this challenge. I'll post the review for the first book I read for the challenge, because I haven't yet, and the other two, I'll just post the covers this time.


The first one was Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman. I love beach covers, and the colors on this one really drew me to it.

44908618. sy475 

 My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Content: Strong language

 

Memory defines us--but what if you lost all memory of who you are? Or where you came from?

A man washes onto a British beach with no memory of who he is or how he got there. Are there loved ones who could be looking for him? Is he a criminal, or an illegal immigrant? The media circus that ensues dubs him "Matthew," a patient whose story is a blank slate--no past, no preconceptions, no life before the mysterious incident that washed him up on that beach.

Despite the tragedy of Matthew's condition, there are others who see him in a different light. He is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, the perfect study of retrograde amnesia. When Dr. Emma Lewis gets a call from a respected colleague asking if she wants to take on the case of a lifetime, she can't refuse. But her ambition comes at a cost. All too soon she'll realize that the man she's been studying has been harboring dangerous secrets, and that he may remember far more than he lets on. . . .

Who is Matthew? The answer might surprise you, if it doesn't kill you. 

 

I had previously read Something in the Water by this author and enjoyed it, so I wanted to read this book as well. I thought this one was slow in the beginning and it didn't really spike my interest until somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the way things ended up playing out in this book, and I thought the main character made some illogical decisions that were eye roll worthy. Not to mention her decision to get cozy with a married man. I know his wife wasn't a likable character, but I still would have preferred their feelings had been held in check until after he left his wife. But it wasn't all bad. I still thought it was worthy of 3 stars because once I got into it, I found it hard to put down, and it did keep me guessing for a long time. This was nice in the way that it was a little different from most of the mysteries I've read.

 

〰〰〰〰〰

      

The second book I read for the challenge was The Ranch by B. E. Baker. I loved this book and this series in general is a favorite of mine, plus the covers are always gorgeous and this one was no exception. I love the horses on the hill with the mountains as a backdrop. It makes me want to go visit there!


60453564. sy475  

 

The third book I read was Lakesedge by Lyndall Clipstone, and if you read my review you know that about the only thing I really ended up liking about this book is the cover. It's a beautifully done gothic cover. Too bad the book didn't work for me.

51591631. sx318 




No comments:

Post a Comment