Thursday, June 23, 2022

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold

61906. sy475 

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Sci-fi, Space Opera
Content: Strong language
 

 

Between the seemingly impossible tasks of living up to his warrior-father's legend and surmounting his own physical limitations, Miles Vorkosigan faces some truly daunting challenges.

Shortly after his arrival on Beta Colony, Miles unexpectedly finds himself the owner of an obsolete freighter and in more debt than he ever thought possible. Propelled by his manic "forward momentum," the ever-inventive Miles creates a new identity for himself as the commander of his own mercenary fleet to obtain a lucrative cargo; a shipment of weapons destined for a dangerous warzone.

  

I wanted to love this. So many other people do, but it's just not working for me. The sad thing is that I feel like it should have. It has a protagonist that's easy to like, at least in the beginning, and I thought it started out good. But at some point I started getting bored with it. The story just wasn't engaging me any more, and my mind kept wandering. I feel like there just isn't enough excitement, or something. Anyway, I'm bored with this book, and I think it has a lot to do with the way it's written. I also was very underwhelmed with the main female character, Elena. As another reviewer put it, she felt like a female character written by a man. She reminded me a lot of the female characters in old western movies from the golden era, where they were mainly just props.

Anyway, I've gotten over 50% in and I feel like I'm forcing myself to listen to this, so I'm going to stop. Also, I really don't care for the narrator. It's the same one that narrated Shard's of Honor and I felt like he kind of ruined that book too. Maybe I would have liked this better if I had actually read it, instead of listened to it, but probably not. Sadly, I don't think this series is for me.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment