Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie

 6608615. sy475 

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Content: Clean
 

 

There's a serial killer on the loose, bent on working his way though the alphabet. There seems little chance of the murderer being caught -- until he makes the crucial and vain mistake of challenging Hercule Poirot to frustrate his plans ...

 

My friend and I recently watched the three part series of The ABC Murders on Prime. If you read my review for Death on the Nile, this is the same friend I mentioned in that review. We decided we wanted to watch more Poirot mysteries and since it was free to watch, decided to give it a try. I have to admit though, that going in I wasn't too crazy about John Malkovich as Poirot, but I wanted to give him a chance. Unfortunately, this version of Poirot did not feel like Poirot, but some other detective! 

 



 

 

 

 

Nope! Not Hercule Poirot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the end, we were both disappointed in the show. It took a Christie novel and added a lot of dark and twisted things to it, that quite frankly, weren't necessary. Because of this, it didn't feel like an Agatha Christie mystery. I don't know why people think they can write Agatha Christie's mysteries better than she can. Stop messing with the classics people!

So, of course, after watching that I needed to read the book to compare. I knew there was no way certain things in the show would be in the book, so it was no surprise when those things weren't. But what I really wanted to know was if the core mystery and set up were present in the book, because that was the one thing that I really enjoyed about the show, and they were! I love the way this mystery is set up, it's so sneaky and clever. I do wonder if I would have figured it out if I had read the book first, but I didn't see the twist coming  when I watched the show. Overall, this was another superb Agatha Christie mystery, and I'm wondering why I waited so long to read these.




No comments:

Post a Comment