Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Heartstrikers Series: Nice Dragons Finish Last and One Good Dragon Deserves Another

It's back to fantasy today with the Heartstrikers series. I had previously read other books by Rachel Aaron and enjoyed them so adding this series to my to-read list was automatic. My daughters and I have listened to the first two books in the series, but we haven't gotten to book 3 yet simply because these are our road trip books and we haven't taken a road trip since last August. I'm really looking forward to our next trip, partly because we get to listen to this book! If you like dragons, nice ones and scheming ones, then you should give this series a try. It's I believe considered an adult series, but could be read by teens as well. That's one of the appeals of this series, it seems to be for everyone. I'm not sure how many books will be in this series, but as of now there are at least 5 planned.

Here are my thoughts on the first two books in the series:



 Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1)Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult                             
Genre: Urban Fantasy
                             Content: Clean


As the smallest dragon in the Heartstriker clan, Julius survives by a simple code: keep quiet, don’t cause trouble, and stay out of the way of bigger dragons. But this meek behavior doesn't fly in a family of ambitious magical predators, and his mother, Bethesda the Heartstriker, has finally reached the end of her patience.

Now, sealed in human form and banished to the DFZ--a vertical metropolis built on the ruins of Old Detroit--Julius has one month to prove that he can be a ruthless dragon or kiss his true shape goodbye forever. But in a city of modern mages and vengeful spirits where dragons are considered monsters to be exterminated, he’s going to need some serious help to survive this test.

He only hopes humans are more trustworthy than dragons...


Nice Dragons Finish Last was our audio book pick for our summer road trip and happily it lived up to our expectations. I initially thought it was a YA book, but it isn't. However it was still appropriate for my young teen daughter's to listen to. The narrator was great, and that's something that is so important when listening to an audio book. I've enjoyed all of Rachel Aaron's/Bach's books so far. My daughters enjoyed this one just as much as I did. One of them said she would give it 5 stars. We can't wait to listen to the next book in the series.




One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)One Good Dragon Deserves Another by Rachel Aaron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
                             Content: Clean


After barely escaping the machinations of his terrifying mother, two all knowing seers, and countless bloodthirsty siblings, the last thing Julius wants to see is another dragon. Unfortunately for him, the only thing more dangerous than being a useless Heartstriker is being a useful one...

My daughters and I were all very excited to listen to One Good Dragon Deserves Another on our holiday road trip. We loved the first book in the series and really enjoyed the narrator. We were not disappointed; this second book in the series is just as good as the first one was and once again the narrator does a great job. One great thing is that my daughter, who doesn't really care to read very much, really likes listening to these.

It was a nice treat to revisit Julius, Marcy, Ghost Cat (whom we learned some interesting things about), and all the other characters. We are all looking forward to book three.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment