Thursday, March 9, 2017

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)Hounded by Kevin Hearne

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy




Atticus is a twenty-one centuries old druid who lives quietly undercover as an Arizona occult bookshop owner. His neighbors think he's 21 and I have to say that he comes off more as a 21 year old than someone who is centuries old. In this first book in the series a Celtic god who wants a sword that Atticus owns has finally tracked him down, shattering his peaceful Arizona existence.

I found the first 80 or so pages of Hounded to be rather dull. After that the story became more interesting and I began to enjoy it. I do see the comparison to Dresden but Atticus did not pull me into the story from the beginning the way Harry did. It took me a lot longer to care about Atticus, but eventually I liked him.

I appreciated the humor in the book and liked a couple of the secondary characters, namely Oberon and Granuaile. I do think this series has the potential to be really good in future books. I liked that the action scenes didn't go on and on. They made me worry about the characters without dragging on forever. I also liked that the book was relatively short.

Despite the first part that I found kind of dull, it felt like it got to the point without a lot of nothing happening in the middle. One thing that was rather tedious to me was all of the hard to pronounce names. When I read a book I want to know how the names are pronounced, but even after looking at the pronunciation I kept forgetting how to pronounce some of them because there were so many to remember. I may continue on with this series, but I'm not feeling the need to do so right now.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment