Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Mistborn Series: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages

Since I've added my recent review of The Alloy of Law here I decided that I should include my reviews on the original Mistborn trilogy as well. My thoughts on the first book were very brief even though it was my favorite book in that trilogy but I really hadn't started writing reviews at that point. Maybe at some point I will revise it.




Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean


What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge?

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the “Sliver of Infinity,” reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler’s most hellish prison. Kelsier “snapped” and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Mistborn is an excellent fantasy with a well thought out, unique magic system, and characters you really come to care for. I can't wait to read the next one.






The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean


I liked The Well of Ascension, but not as much as Mistborn. It seemed to drag at the end and Vin just drove me crazy with her stupidity through much of it. Also there was a lack of romance between Vin and Elend. I mean, not that there weren't kissing scenes, there were. There was just no feeling in it. I usually don't care for the way men write romantic scenes. A lot of them tend to completely miss the mark with the emotions of it.
I do continue to enjoy the magic system in this series. Although I have to wonder if you would really be able to see coins that were moving fast enough to go through your body. So there are some flaws in it, but I will not pick it apart any more than that.

I liked that we got to see deeper into a few of the supporting characters this time around especially Breeze and Sazed. And the scene with Sazed all bulked up like the Hulk had me giggling, even though I probably wasn't supposed to find it humorous. I kept thinking of Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk and that line where he says, "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

The end was a little predictable with what happens to Elend, and I was hoping the whole time that who I thought was the spy wouldn't be the spy because I liked him so much, but of course he was.

I will probably get around to reading the last book in the trilogy eventually, but for now I need a break from this world.




The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean

I'm going to be one of those people with an unpopular opinion here. When I started the Mistborn Trilogy I loved the first book enough to give it 5 stars. The second book was a little disappointing to me as I found Vin rather annoying, but I gave it 4 stars because Sazed, Spook, and other characters were all great. And now this last book, The hero of Ages has mostly just been boring to me. I really think the book could have been edited down to a lot less pages, and that is also a problem I have with the other two books in the series, but I enjoyed the story told in those despite that. This time around I mostly didn't. There was too much talk and the relationships between the characters felt distant to me. Elend and Vin just no longer interested me as characters as they had become boring. The same cannot be said for Sazed or Spook though. I still really liked those two despite the fact that Sazed was depressed and not really himself through most of this book.

Although I didn't like this book as much as the other two I am glad that I read it and finished the trilogy, I think. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I liked it but I didn't. I mainly wanted to finish this trilogy because I think the second trilogy in the series looks more up my alley and I really want to read it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment