Monday, March 27, 2017

The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Clean


***There are some relationship spoilers in this review.

The Bands of Mourning is the third book in the Second Era Mistborn series and it was just as good as the first two. It's rare that I like every book in a series equally, but that's what happened here. Hopefully the fourth and last book will be just as good too.

There's a fair bit of traveling in this book, but it's a good thing. A kandra has images that seem to depict the Bands of Mourning, metalminds that belonged to the Lord Ruler, that are supposed to give whoever wears them the powers that the Lord Ruler had. Wax is recruited to travel south to the city of New Seran to investigate, while Marasi has a mission to find a missing Kandra spike. So Wax, Wayne, Marasi, and even Steris this time, travel to New Seran and beyond to investigate. While there they encounter Wax's uncle and learn more about what he is up to, and as usual with a Sanderson book, there end up being a few big surprises.

Yet again I came away loving each of the characters. I did feel like Wax dove headlong into things a couple of times without thinking them through, but I can't help but like the guy. I still loved Marasi and although the Mariwax ship has sailed- I'm not gonna lie, I did find that a little disappointing- I feel like things ended up how they should anyway. It's rare that I'm this ok with a relationship I've been such a fan of not happening. Steris grew on me a lot in this book and I can see how she and Wax are not only good together, but good for each other. They sort of balance each other out. Steris makes him think before he acts.

One thing I really like about the Mistborn world is that the magic system continues to be added to and evolve. It's just really cool how that happens. I don't think I've ever read another fantasy series that accomplishes that the way this one does. I'm looking forward to reading the next book. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment