Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Year in Books 2017

This is a little late, but I wanted to post a list of the books that I read this past year that I enjoyed the most.

First up, the books I enjoyed reading the most this year in the Adult Fantasy category:


Firebrand

This is one of my all-time favorite series and this, the 6th book in the series did not disappoint!

Next is...

Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)

The sequel to Age of Myth. Michael J. Sullivan can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Epic fantasy that is fun and easy to read, I love it!

 Also on my best list is this historical fantasy by one of my favorite authors...


Daughter of the Forest  (Sevenwaters, #1)

Daughter of the Forest is the first book in a companion series. Juliet Marillier's writing is just so beautifully lyrical, and though this wasn't an easy story to get through I loved it!



The next category is Short Stories. I read a few of those this year and these two were my favorites. Of course they are both fantasy, and coincidentally they were both written by Brandon Sanderson:

The Emperor's Soul

A Stand-alone, The Emperor's Soul was outstanding. It was my favorite book out of all the books we read for book club in 2017.

And also...

Snapshot

Another Stand-alone; I thought snapshot was very clever.



Now onto Young Adult Fantasy. I didn't read nearly as much YA fantasy this year as I have in past years. My goal for 2017 was to discover more adult fantasy, but these two YA fantasies were stand-outs:


Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)

Crooked Kingdom is the sequel to Six of Crows and it was just as good.



Renegades (Renegades, #1)

I loved Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles, so I knew I had to try Renegades. It was different, but just as good! This is the first book in a new series.



Next category is mystery:

I've read a lot of mystery this year, but this one was my favorite.


What the Dead Leave Behind (A Gilded Age Mystery #1)

This is a historical mystery, one of my favorite kinds of mysteries and the beginning of a new series. I was hooked from the beginning!



And last is the romance category:

I usually only read historical romance and this book was the one I enjoyed the most.

The Ladies of Ivy Cottage (Tales from Ivy Hill, #2)

This is the second book in the Ivy Hill series and while I liked the first book in the series a lot, I liked this one even better. This is more than just a romance really. I loved reading about the different characters in the town.

This one was also a favorite...


A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England #1)

The first in a companion series, A Name Unknown could fit into the mystery category as well, although there is more emphasis on the romance than the mystery.



That's it. If you are looking for something new to read give them a try!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Tammie:) Daughter of the Forest was definitely one of my favourites also.

    ReplyDelete