Friday, November 1, 2019

October/November 2019 Book Club: Columbus Day

Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)Columbus Day by Craig Alanson

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Sci-fi, Fantasy
Content: Strong language, Mostly off page sex scene 


This was our book club pick for October, and I have to admit, I wasn't too thrilled about it. Military science-fiction isn't my usual kind of read, but it ended up surprising me. It was more space fantasy than anything with some military elements. The Ruhar that attack earth are described as looking like hamsters.

“Hamsters. We have other names for them; rats, weasels, rodents, but with their fine, golden fur, round faces and whiskers, what they most look like are hamsters.”

I couldn't help but think if those Kia Soul commercials.

description

The book started out pretty funny and was easy to get into at first. The part with the ice cream truck was hilarious.

“Barney, the big purple cartoon dinosaur with the perpetual stupid grin. Barney, and Smurfs, Mickey Mouse, unicorns, and a lot of other fictional characters were painted on the truck. Whoever decided which characters to paint on the truck had made interesting choices, like, why was Iron Man waving to the Smurfs?”

description

Barney makes more than one appearance in the book.

Unfortunately after they left earth the story slowed down for quite a while. I pushed through though, because my husband assured me that it would get a lot better after the halfway mark. He was right! We are introduced to Skippy at that point, and I must say that Skippy saved the whole book. I won't spoil who Skippy is, but let's just say that I haven't been disappointed yet by this type of character in a book.

I'm just going to leave this here. If you've read the book you'll get it.
 width=

This is a nine book series, and while I enjoyed this one I'm not sure I liked it enough to read nine books, so the jury is still out on whether I will continue, but it was fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment