Monday, April 10, 2023

March Wrap-up

March didn't go like I had planned, but it ended up being great anyway. If I include a couple of short stories and an interior design book (I will not be including them in this post), I read a whopping 20 books in March! Plus one that I started and didn't get finished until a few days ago, and another that I started and am still working on. That's a record for me. Of all the books I had planned to read in March I ended up not getting to 4 of them, and I ended up reading quite a few unplanned ones.

These are the ones I didn't read-

 

Nightmare by Stephen Leather

 

This one ended up being abandoned by me after my fellow mystery book club readers read it, and really disliked it.  According to them, there is no plot progression and more of the same is repeated again from books one and two. This was something I had hoped wouldn't be the case. After the first two books, this one needed character growth and change. So I was fine with trusting their opinions on this one, and moving on. This series has been officially abandoned by us.


The Shadow Casket by Chris Wooding

 

I thought there was a buddy read set up for this one in March, but it turns out it was never scheduled. Thank goodness, because I wouldn't have had the time for it anyway! It's now been scheduled for June, so I'll be reading it then. 


Bryony and Roses by T. Kingfisher

 

This one was my 'Pick it for Me' book for March that my Goodreads friend Jenny had chosen for me to read. I, unfortunately made a mistake, and used up all my Hoopla borrows before I got to this one. Oops! So it got pushed to April. I just finished reading it and enjoyed it. I'll try to post a review of it soon.


Super Powereds Year 4 by Drew Hayes

 

I knew I was being ambitious when I included this one on my March list, but I wanted to try and get to it. Well, that didn't happen. I'm not sure when I'll get to this one, but hopefully in May.


Now onto the ones I did read!

As I said in my previous post, we went on a road trip and listened to a bunch of Patricia Briggs books. I also read 2 short stories set in the Mercy-verse (not included in this post). These are the ones we listened to-

But first, a quick breakdown of what I think of the covers- I know this seems random, but I post a lot of book covers on this page and some of them I like and think they represent the book really well. Some of them I don't like so much. Every time I see the covers for the Mercy Thompson series I love some things about them and dislike other things about them. And as I was copying these to post I decided to say something about them. As for the Mercy Thompson covers, lots of people love these covers, and in general, I do really like the work this cover artist does.The covers for this series are a mixed bag for me. I don't think they represent the way Mercy dresses at all. She's a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal, and the clothing on these covers is skimpy. She also only has one tattoo, but the covers have her covered in them. The interesting thing about the tattoos on the book covers is that they change with each book, and they are related to what happens in the books, so I find that interesting. As for the backgrounds of the covers I really like them. I like the things that are depicted. The garage, especially. I like some of the later covers a lot more than these early ones. The Alpha and Omega covers are mostly ok. I didn't like the one for the first book at all, but the rest I like, and I think they represent Charles and Anna pretty well. One interesting thing about those covers, is that Charles is in Wolf form on all but one of them. 

Ok, now back to the ones I read in March-


 

Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson #2) by Patricia Briggs



  

Hunting Ground (Alpha and Omega #2) by Patricia Briggs 




 

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson #3) by Patricia Briggs

 



 

Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson #4) by Patricia Briggs  




 

River Marked (Mercy Thompson #5) by Patricia Briggs  

 



 

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson #6) by Patricia Briggs  

 

 

Early in the month I got into the mood for romance, so here are the romances I read in March-


 

My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1) by Tracy Brogan  (Review to come.)




The Soul of a Lady by [Wanda Luce] 

The Soul of a Lady by Wanda Luce (See my review here)




 

The Matchmaking Game by Donna Hatch (Review to come)



Everything else I read-

 

 

Remnants of Trust (Central Corps #2) by Elizabeth Bonesteel (Review to come)




 

Sixpence and Selkies (Manners and Monsters #5) by Tilly Wallace




 

Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot #17) by Agatha Christie




 

An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) by Seanan McGuire (Review to come)




 

Dragon and Thief (Dragonback #1) by Timothy Zahn (Review to come)




 

Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent #3) by Anna Lee Huber




 

Forget Me by K. A. Harrington (See my review here)




 

Wizard's Alley by James Haddock (See my review here)



 

A Tempest at Sea (Lady Sherlock #7) by Sherry Thomas

I started this one but didn't finish it until April.




 

Magefall (The Kingfall histories #3) by David Estes)

I am currently still reading this book. It's huge at over 1000 pages.

 


I've marked quite a few of the books with 'review to come'. I'll try to review as many as I can. Some of them I'm waiting to finish the whole series to do a series review, so it may take a month of two.







No comments:

Post a Comment