Thursday, May 4, 2023

Seed Money (The Scarsdale Fosters #1) by B. E. Baker

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Romance, Clean Romance, Contemporary Fiction, Women's Fiction
Content: Loss of an unborn child; Infertility; Loss of spouse, parents, and other family members

 

Some people have all the luck, but so far, Seren’s has all been bad.

Seren Colburn's had nothing but bad luck her entire life, so she's not surprised when Dave, a possible buyer for her family mansion, mistakes her for a vagrant squatting in the unfurnished home. If she wasn't about to lose her movie-star grandmother’s house to the bank, she wouldn't even be selling it.

But after he realizes Seren’s the owner, Dave has an idea.

He suggests they work together to turn the mansion into an inn, capitalizing on her grandmother's graceful and timeless image. Seren really doesn’t want to, but she's out of options. Dave quickly realizes he wants her as more than just a business partner, but can he convince Seren that her luck’s about to change. . .if only she'll take a chance on him?

 

I was excited to start another contemporary romance series by Bridget E. Baker. I've loved her Finding Home Series and her Birch Creek Ranch Series, and I think she shines the most as an author when she writes this type of book. I had a hard time putting this book down, and I ended up breezing right through it in just over a day!

I like the way we're introduced to Seren in the book. The way she and Dave meet is really cute and funny! Overall, I liked the humor in the book. There are some seriously devastating events that have happened in Seren's past and I was tearing up a couple of times, but the humor added a nice balance to the story so those parts didn't weigh it down too much. 

Seren and Dave both have big hearts, and it was good to read a book that included fostering. My parents fostered a couple of times when I was a teen. They weren't orphans, but they came from homes that they were temporarily removed from, and they were much younger than the boy in this book, but I could still relate to the subject matter, and I can still remember how much my parents wanted to adopt the little boy they fostered for a whole year, starting at 18 months old. There was a bond that grew there. Eventually he ended up being able to go back and live with his dad, and it was both a happy and a sad thing for my parents.

If there were any negatives about the book, I would have to say the events in the book felt a little more rushed than I would have liked. Also, there was too much gushing done by Dave over Seren, but other than that, this was a great book that I really loved. At first I thought things might have worked out too perfectly for everyone in the book, but I think this is the rainbow after the storm for both Seren and Daveespecially Seren. The storm just happened before this story, and the story is about the beautiful and healing part after.

This is definitely a setup kind of book. It sets up the relationship between Seren and Dave, and the beginning of fostering. I'm not sure if subsequent books in the series will be about Dave and Seren adopting more children, or if they will be about other couples, but I'm looking forward to finding out. 

 

Thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC of this book.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment