Sunday, May 21, 2023

The Will of the Many (Hierarchy, #1) by James Islington

  

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Strong language, Torture, Mass killing (none of these elements are done in a very graphic way)

 

 

 The Catenan Republic – the Hierarchy – may rule the world now, but they do not know everything.

I tell them my name is Vis Telimus. I tell them I was orphaned after a tragic accident three years ago, and that good fortune alone has led to my acceptance into their most prestigious school. I tell them that once I graduate, I will gladly join the rest of civilised society in allowing my strength, my drive and my focus – what they call Will – to be leeched away and added to the power of those above me, as millions already do. As all must eventually do.

I tell them that I belong, and they believe me.

But the truth is that I have been sent to the Academy to find answers. To solve a murder. To search for an ancient weapon. To uncover secrets that may tear the Republic apart.

And that I will never, ever cede my Will to the empire that executed my family.

To survive, though, I will still have to rise through the Academy’s ranks. I will have to smile, and make friends, and pretend to be one of them and win. Because if I cannot, then those who want to control me, who know my real name, will no longer have any use for me.

And if the Hierarchy finds out who I truly am, they will kill me.


I read The Shadow of What was Lost by this author a couple of years ago, and ended up disappointed in it. I didn't think the story was bad, but it just didn't wow me the way I was hoping it would. So, I had decided that maybe this author just wasn't for me, and I didn't pay much attention to this book when it was announced. That is, until I saw my Goodreads friend, Petrik talk about it on his YouTube channel. Then I saw my friend Niki Hawkes talk about it on hers as well, and I thought maybe I should pay some attention to it. So I ended up adding it to my to-read list. I have to tell you that I am so glad I ended up reading this book! The story pulled me in right from the beginning and I just couldn't put it down. This is one of the best books I've read in a while. If you like dark academia, or magic school type fantasy books, then you will probably love this one.

This is a Roman inspired series, and I liked that about it. It felt a little different from some of the other books I've read, and I found the use of other people's will in the magic to be both intriguing and horrifying. There were several events in this book that were surprises, especially the one at the end. I didn't expect that at all, and now I can't wait to read the next book. 

I thought the author was good at creating characters that I could care about and sympathize with, while also creating a world that was interesting, with a plot that was compelling with unexpected elements.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a ARC of this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment