Monday, May 29, 2023

Yesterday's Tides by Roseanna M. White

  

My rating: No rating at this time
Category: Adult, Christian Fiction
Genre: Romance, Historical Romance, Historical Fiction,
Clean Romance
Content: Clean

 

In 1942, Evie Farrow is used to life on Ocracoke Island, where every day is the same--until the German U-boats haunting their waters begin to wreak havoc. And when special agent Sterling Bertrand is washed ashore at Evie's inn, her life is turned upside down. While Sterling's injuries keep him inn-bound for weeks, making him even more anxious about the man he's tracking, he becomes increasingly intrigued by Evie, who seems to be hiding secrets of her own.

Decades earlier, in 1914, Englishman Remington Culbreth arrives at the Ocracoke Inn for the summer, but he doesn't count on falling in love with Louisa Adair, the innkeeper's daughter. When war breaks out in Europe, and their relationship is put in jeopardy, will their love survive?

As Evie and Sterling work to track down an elusive German agent, they unravel mysteries that go back a generation. The ripples from the Great War are still rocking their lives, and it seems yesterday's tides may sweep them all into danger again today.

 

 

I've been trying to get through this book all month and I'm 65% in. I've tried not to push it, and just picked the book up when I felt in the mood for it, but I'm at the point now where I just don't want to pick it up anymore. So, I made the decision to stop reading it. Maybe I'll eventually get back to one day, but with a big list of books to read, I'm setting it aside for now.

This book incorporates two timelines. I'm not a huge fan of romances with dual timelines. The timelines in this book are set in 1942 and 1914. Originally, I decided to read this because I was hoping it would have the same type of feel as the Shadows Over England Series, and the Codebreakers series; romance and espionage with some historical fiction mixed in. Unfortunately, I found this one to be rather boring, and the stories from the two different timelines were too similar. There wasn't enough romance or espionage to make the story spark. Also, the characters in the 1914 timeline frustrated me. I know there were lies told by someone that they both wanted to trust, but I feel like one of them would have done more checking into the story. Why wouldn't Rem have contacted the Inn at least? Anyway, I'm not finished with the book, and maybe he eventually does, but from where I am, it doesn't seem like it. 

I do think that the author had a great idea to include characters from several of her series in this book. They make appearances at different points, and it was a nice surprise. It was probably the thing I liked the most about this book. It put a big smile on my face when Margot De Wilde from The Number of Love was mentioned.

This author's books are all over the spectrum for me. I absolutely love two of her series and count them as favorites. Then there is one series that I liked a lot, but didn't love. There are also two that I never finished, and now this standalone that I've decided to give up on. Usually, when I love something by an author, I consistently love most everything they write, or at least like everything they write enough to keep reading, so this is an odd case here. I'll continue to read her books though, because I absolutely love them when they click with me, and there are some beautiful messages in her Shadows Over England and Codebreakers series.





No comments:

Post a Comment